Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Next Big Thing: Javelin


I’m loving everything about Brooklyn-based duo Javelin: their Odelay-chillwave-hip hop sound, the fact they share a name with both a Japanese goth band and a 1970s New Jersey rock group, and for sure the videos of a couple live performances embedded below. On a sour note, I just found out that they’ll be in Toronto on the same night I already have tickets to see the Toro Y Moi / Ruby Suns show, so I’m not sure what I’ll do, because as you’ll see from their videos, their live shows look like they’re a blast. And so is their music, a blast from both a Kurtis Blow past and a PlayStation future. “Oh! Centra,” from an album coming out next month on Luaka Bop, shows off their groovy, wilder side, complete with Salt-N-Pepa hook. Oh!

Javelin: Oh! Centra (from Pitchfork)
from the upcoming CD No Mas
MP3JavelinMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE





And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2010.02.21 (also on iTunes), featuring music from Drive-By Truckers, Los Campesinos!, The Radio Dept., and Jónsi, among others.

No comments: