Wednesday, September 2, 2009

New Sounds: High praise for Frida Hyvönen


I emailed a link to this song to my wife and she replied, perhaps a bit sharply, that I sure have a thing for Swedish pop stars. Sure enough, especially when you hear a track like “Jesus Was a Crossmaker,” Frida Hyvönen’s cover of a track first recorded by lesser-known folk artist Judee Sill back in the ’70s. It’s also been covered by artists as diverse as The Hollies, Warren Zevon and Rachael Yamagata, but I doubt the Swede’s take will be topped. And I know I’ve used the word “majestic” to describe other songs, but its truly apt here, in a pearly-gates kind of way. Hallelujah.

Frida Hyvönen: Jesus Was a Crossmaker (from Pitchfork)
from the upcoming CD Crayon Angel: A Tribute to the Music of Judee Sill
MP3Frida HyvönenMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE

And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2009.08.22 (also on iTunes), featuring music from Simian Mobile Disco, Arctic Monkeys, Bibio, Miike Snow, The Dodos, Speech Debelle, and Delorean, among others.

No comments: