Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jukebox

I sometimes think that I don’t find music; music finds me. And seven records into her critically acclaimed career, Cat Power (née Chan Marshall) has hardly registered, save for a couple songs (including the magnificent title track) from 2006’s The Greatest record. After repeat listens of her eighth disc, the countrified covers record Jukebox, it appears I haven’t missed that much.
     I understand her appeal: a sexy, smoky voice crossed with fashion-model good looks, it’s no wonder rock critics (mostly male, of course) rush to her defense. But what some might consider sultry and sparse, I find slow and dull. “Metal Heart” is one of the few exceptions, with Marshall unleashing a passion that’s too often kept concealed. Guess I’ll have to keep looking. C
Cat Power: Metal Heart (mp3) (zip)
Cat Power: Silver Stallion (mp3) (zip)

No comments: