Monday, January 11, 2010

Song of the Week: Rogue Wave go rogue


Usually, when I pick a Song of the Week, I like the song; but this week, I’m not so sure. Or as Rogue Wave’s Zach Rogue sings on “Good Morning,” I’m not surprised. Check that: I am surprised, greatly surprised at Rogue Wave’s 18o-degree turn from softer, acoustic-tinged Cali rock to Owl City-ish, club-friendly pop. I love Rogue Wave, having caught them live a couple times and adored many of the tracks off their first three softer, acoustic-tinged Cali rock albums – especially the incredible, hand-clapping “Lake Michigan” off 2007’s Asleep at Heaven’s Gate. But I don’t know what to make of this.

Rogue Wave: Good Morning (from Stereogum)
from the upcoming CD Permalight
MP3Rogue WaveMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE

And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2009.12.19 (also on iTunes), featuring music from Vampire Weekend, Annie, Cold War Kids, and Sloan, among others.

No comments: