Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Sounds: Idolizing The Shape of the Earth


Each time American Idol comes on the air, I fall under the influence of Simon Cowell and pretend to be a star-maker. And so, let me say that The Shape of the Earth – a Cali three-piece with a jangly, indie-rock sound somewhere between Snow Patrol and Spoon – have star written all over them. Well, they’ve got one sure-fire hit, the downloadable-below “Alone In This,” and a bunch of other heart-on-the-sleeve, highly polished tracks on their debut record Do I Dare Disturb the Universe? (I’d also like to thank them for introducing me to the particular talent that is LisaNova, a YouTube phenomenon who featured TSOTE’s music and has somehow eluded my pop-culture radar.) Check ’em out, dawg.

The Shape of the Earth: Alone In This
from the CD Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?
MP3The Shape Of The Earth - Do I Dare Disturb the Universe? - Alone In ThisMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE

And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2009.12.19 (also on iTunes), featuring music from Vampire Weekend, Annie, Cold War Kids, and Sloan, among others.

No comments: