Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New Sounds: Emily Jane White’s sad songs


One thing that’s missing from today’s crop of folk singers is a darker, Leonard Cohen-ish edge. And American singer-songwriter Emily Jane White recaptures the more miserable end. Don’t believe me? Here’s what she says: “I don’t write happy music. I’m drawn to writing sad songs. Reflective, contemplative songs. I truly believe that’s my job. I’m okay with that.” Well, so am I, especially if they sound as wonderful as lead track “Victorian America,” which can be heard on her yet-to-be-released-in-North America CD Victorian America, as well as my latest JeffMix podcast. Reflect on that.

Emily Jane White: Victorian America
from the album Victorian America
MP3Emily Jane WhiteMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE

And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2009.10.25 (also on iTunes), featuring music from Atlas Sound, Laura Veirs, Pennywise, and The Middle East, among others.

No comments: