Friday, September 25, 2009

Album of the Week: Somewhat enchanted with Pavement


Pavement: Slanted and Enchanted
I know I’m treading on sacred ground by writing a review of Pavement’s first record, Slanted and Enchanted, but after all the gushing over their recently announced reunion shows, I could no longer resist giving the CD a first spin on my iTunes turntable. Yes, you read that correctly – a first spin, which, in indie-rock-blog terms is akin to a preacher admitting he hasn’t exactly read the Bible. Or that’s what it would seem if Pitchfork, Stereogum and the like were your main music sources. But my tastes have always run more British, more pop and more hip hop, so a band praised for creating the American lo-fi indie-rock template has reduced appeal to me. I don’t have bad things to say about Slanted and Enchanted (released almost two decades ago now), and you can really see why its The Replacements-meets-Velvet Underground arty stoner sound will be played on U.S. colleges for years to come. But beyond two or three more sonically complete songs, like “Summer Babe (Winter Version)” and the Paul Westerberg-ish “Two States” (and its absurd “40 million daggers!” chorus), I’m probably content to strike this off my musical bucket list and be done. Now, on to the Bible... B

Pavement: Heckler Spray / In the Mouth of a Desert (live) (from Matador Records)
from the album Slanted and Enchanted
MP3Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted - In the Mouth a DesertMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE


And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2009.09.22 (also on iTunes), featuring music from The Temper Trap, Wild Beasts, Javelin, and Band of Skulls, among others.

No comments: