Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Sounds: Julie Peel unfolds


There are a lot of indie-folk artists out there, and most of them get a quick pass during my iPod shuffle. It’s not that I don’t like the genre (okay, I don’t really like the genre), but I find most of them are more sleepy than dreamy. And on an early morning transit ride where I do most of my music listening, sleepy isn’t good. On “Unfold,” a Beth Orton-ish track from her upcoming CD Near the Sun, new singer/songwriter Julie Peel gets dreamy right. And on the other tracks streaming on her MySpace page, Peel (a multi-instrumentalist who shuttles between France and Montreal) shows she’s an artist to watch. Or at least keep you awake.

Julie Peel: Unfold (from Largehearted Boy)
from the upcoming CD Near the Sun
MP3Julie PeelMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE

And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2009.07.26 (also on iTunes), featuring music from Regina Spektor, Rancid, Jamie T, The Rumble Strips, Mos Def, and Maxïmo Park, among others.

No comments: