Monday, July 6, 2009

Song of the Week: The Roots ft. Erykah Badu’s sweet MJ cover

One of the best Michael Jackson tributes I heard all week was this silky smooth cover of “I Wanna Be Where You Are,” a minor hit for MJ in the early 1970s, a time when he released the odd solo record while still a member of the Jackson 5. This version, I dare say, outshines the original, which shouldn’t be a surprise coming from the ace combo of The Roots and Erykah Badu. Made all the more impressive by the fact they knocked it off during a pre-taping session at Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. The Roots are really making their mark as Fallon’s band, and hit the right note here as well.

The Roots ft: Erykah Badu: I Wanna Be Where You Are (from Okayplayer.com)
MP3BUYMYSPACEOFFICIAL SITE

And for more new sounds, make sure to subscribe to my latest podcast, JeffMix2009.06.27 (also on iTunes), featuring music from Eels, Jay Reatard, FrankMusik, Wheat, and Master Shortie, among others.

No comments: