Saturday, October 25, 2008

Lykke Li @ The Mod Club, Oct. 24

Five months ago, I wrote that Lykke Li was “poised for a breakthrough,” and if the packed house at last night’s show at The Mod Club was any indication, it’s at least one good SNL performance from happening (or maybe a well-placed song in a movie commercial). I have to say, however, she didn’t wow me the same way she did earlier this year. I’ll admit, maybe I’ve hardened to her, but I think it was more to do with her fairly apparent lack of enthusiasm (not to mention the pitch-black tent dress she was wearing – I expected her to throw it off at any point to show there was a dress under there!). She even chided the audience for going to the bar and getting drunk. Sheesh. That said, she’s still a budding star, and has some killer songs in her still-growing repertoire. The high moments, surprisingly, were covers: a spot-on rendition of Vampire Weekend’s “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa,” and an Amy Poehler-inspired rap of A Tribe Called Quest’s “Can I Kick It?” Yes, yes you can.
     The brighter spot may have been opening act Friendly Fires, a spunky UK four-piece that’s listened to a lot of new wave records and has a lead singer who must have drank 10 espressos before he hit the stage. “Jump in the Pool” (as can be heard on JeffMix2008.08.24) and “Paris” are two of the better, underplayed songs this year, but shows like this are going to put them into the breakthrough category shortly.

No comments: