Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The National @ The Phoenix, Oct. 8

My music-filled Autumn (I’m going to seven concerts in the next two months) had a mellow beginning yesterday as I checked out dozy NYC rockers, The National, playing their second sold-out gig in the last few months as the buzz for their latest disc, The Boxer, continues to grow. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the band — they play slow, contemplative rock that’s clearly designed to be moving. Yet, despite lead singer Matt Berninger’s weighty baritone and the valiant effort last night of frenetic violinist/keyboardist Padma Newsome, I am not that moved by The National.
     There’s one glaring exception, however: The Boxer’s first single, “Fake Empire” (which can be heard on JeffMix2007.04), a triumph of a song that I’m sure will finish very high on my year-end list of top tracks. Truth be told, I went to the concert for this one song, and after hearing “Empire,” along with a handful of okay tracks from Boxer and their previous disc, Alligator, we decided we’d heard enough and went home before the encore. Our loss, apparently, as I learned today that Toronto folk star Hayden joined the band for their final songs. Come to think of it, though, I’m not that big a fan of Hayden either.
The National: Start a War (mp3)

No comments: